Tuesday 8 May 2007

Holidays

Wendy has now gone on holiday and left me - to Kenya - lucky thing!

I guess at this time most people are thinking about holidays that need to be booked or are already booked - which sort of person are you? organised and planned, or the 'I'll see what is available, pack on the day, buy everything at the airport' sort of person!

I am a great procrastinator (almost the title of a song methinks!)when it comes to my personal life and consequently whilst I know where I want to go, it is just getting around to all that searching, deciding and booking. In particular, I there are usually at least 3 of us, and that makes it all the more complicated, as you try to meet all their needs!

This year, I am hoping to go to New York, and I already know that there are loads of things to do once we get there, never mind where we stay, the dates we go blah, blah blah. So how can I at least make the holiday a lot more enjoyable?

Fortunately, once I make my mind up, I am like a whirlwind, and it all gets done really quickly. My personality type means that when I make decisions, I tend to take into account everyone to make sure they get what they want too!

As a result, I make each person in the holiday party, make a list of everything they would like to do when they are on holiday.

I then identify those things that everyone has mentioned and schedule them in over the holiday period.

I then look at the next most popular choice and schedule those in.

I then make sure everyone has the opportunity to do at least one of the things on their list (in case they have come up with the most random, bizarre or most expensive choice that no-one in their right mind would probably be in the least bit interested in doing) and make sure they get to do it!

Sounds complicated? Not really, it means everyone can be sure that they get some say in how they spend their holiday and besides it works for us and minimises any disputes about what we will do and when!The only stipulation I have for anyone who goes on holiday with me, is that I do need 'me' time - where I can relax and read, and read, ,and read....not so good for them!

Minimise any potential room for disputes by making sure every member of the holiday party has a say in what they do, even the youngest member of the party!

In the meantime, I am thinking about Wendy and what she is doing now....if she has any sense, laying back, with a glass in one hand, and a book in the other....chillll

If you want to understand more about what sort of holiday personality you are drop me an email marked "Holiday Personality Type" to enquire@relishpeople.co.uk and I will send you a quiz to help you find out!

No comments: