Thursday 8 March 2007

Aurora and International Womens Day Event in London

As a last minute thing, I came across the above mentioned event held in London last night, as a great way to promote my business Relish People Ltd.

What I did not expect was the high calibre of the guest speakers and the messages they had to convey.

Whilst I am not sure how I feel about women only events (although there were men there), I certainly can recognise how much support women will give women.

Jo Salter, explained some of the difficulties she faced when becoming the the first female fighter pilot, and to be honest her attitude (I believe) made all the difference. She had some great tips on making it in whatever you do, and that was to make sure you surround yourself with those people who make you feel good, make sure your cup is always half full and have fun! Sounds like a recipe for success to me!

Susan Hooper of Royal Caribbean talked about her experiences that came through grabbing opportunities as and when they arose and her key tips for success were to ensure you have drive to fend off the detractors, as there will be many; to 'grab the brass ring', the opportunities as they arise; to follow your passion; and to get your personal priorities right - Certainly some things to take on there!

And last, but by no means least was Mary McPhail who stood up to talk about the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts. Her speech talked about women and girls all over the world, particularly those who perhaps were somewhat less fortunate than us in the UK and encouraged us to support each other as our efforts can make a difference for others all around the world.

So what did I get from this event?

Certainly, not what I would have expected. I loved Susans' comments that the messages given throughout the evening and certainly hers in particular, were gender neutral and could be applied whether male or female, something I feel much happier about. As Mary said, we can all do with support at one time or another, whatever or wherever it may come from.

I for one learnt much from last night and made the trak to London worthwhile - so well done everyone from Aurora who organised it!

No comments: