Monday 25 June 2007

Music be the food of....

I recently was invited along to my local pub to listen to a band play - the Q-Tones.

I love live music, particularly if it is my favourite stuff such as R & B, soul, funk and jazz.

I have to say this band was extremely good (and well worth going to see!) as they played music to suit all tastes, country, rock n roll, funk, chart etc.

It got me to thinking, music is something that many of us enjoy and our associations with periods in our lives, events or people can be be very strong. Just hearing a piece of music, can literally transform our mood, or take us back instantly - how powerful is that? We all have one record that immediately remind us of a past love, or one that we played over and over again, when we broke up with someone.

I know for me, when I am feeling upbeat, and all is well in the world etc, there is nothing like playing a very loud song in the car and singing at the top of my voice to make me feel alive (I hasten to add, this is only ever when on my own - I am tone deaf, and unlikely to be pleasing to the ear!), or when I am feeling very low, particular songs can make me feel even more sombre, or resonate with my emotions and the way I am feeling to help me work through any difficulties.

I have long threatened to make a couple of CD's for myself, that would put together all those anthems that make me want to celebrate being alive, and use these when I am feeling right up there on top of the world, or just to play when I feeling a little like being cheered up. And then a CD that will reflect that I am going through a difficult patch, and listen to the words of songs, that just sum up where I am, and allow me to just be.....

Let me know what songs inspire you and make you want to just sing along, as it would be great to see what the most popular ones are!

I have a number of songs, and yet sometimes, some of the old ones are the best "We are the champions" by Queen, "New York, New York" Frank Sinatra (that's a great one at the end of a fab evening out on the town isn't it!) and "Unchained Melody" by the Righteous Brothers.

It is possible to change your mood with music - make sure you have your own compilation to give you that little lift, just when you need it!

No comments: